Wednesday, May 25, 2011

video reflections: ethical design issues

After watching the Design for Life series, the final installment was the most interesting to view. I could definitely relate to the two final contestant designers (especially the crying part) as they completed their projects to meet deadlines while battling obstacles. I think that one of the most important part of the installment was the evolution of their designs. I kinda wonder where they found these designers though, I was pretty floored that this kid 'Mike' didn't even bother putting dimensions on his illustrator drawing when he went to meet with the injection moulder. Apparently, a 'recent design graduate', I wonder how he got away with it in university??? Pretty sure I wouldn't even bother showing a drawing of a design to a tutor or even a fellow classmate without at least a couple of overall dimensions on it.
They both worked really hard though and pushed themselves to the limit in order to finish their designs, get them to the model makers and work on their ad campaigns. Ilsa was clearly the stronger designer though, and the decision to give her the internship seemed fair. I was just a little unsure about her overall aesthetic, she didn't quite seem to get the idea of creating an effective ad campaign, and hers ended up being the weaker one in the end. Luckily for her, the design was enough to get her the job. The video made me think about the way I design, and the importance of a strong presentation and back up material i.e. posters, model etc.



No comments:

Post a Comment