Thursday, March 3, 2011

my ecological footprint


Well, this was an interesting and eye-opening result. My carbon footprint is well above the average; yet my food, housing, and goods and services footprints are below average. This definitely highlights that extensive daily commuting by car and public transport, as well as taking overseas trips are negatively affecting my carbon footprint.

However, it is good to notice that leading a vegetarian lifestyle dramatically reduces my food footprint. It is also nice to see that obsessive household recycling combined with having a backyard vegetable garden substantially lowers my housing footprint. But it is in the goods and services footprint that shows the most noticeable difference; buying second hand items and keeping a product until its end of life is evidently paying off.

This assessment has made me realise the impact I have on the planet. The high carbon footprint outcome has made me reassess my lifestyle and think about ways to reduce it considerably.

No comments:

Post a Comment